Chulu Far East and Tilicho Lake, 18 days + 4 days Kathmandu -22 days
Max alt. 6,060 m
Chulu Far East is the second eastern summit of Chulu, which has two each on the east and west. There's the climbing itself, which is brilliant if you know how to work in snow and ice, and unafraid of crossing crevassed glaciers. Then there is the view around you. In the theatre of the Annapurna, Chulu East looks out onto Dhaulagiri, Manaslu, Annapurna II, III and V, Gangapurna, and Tilicho. Your way down offers a rare chance to trek up to the stunning Tilicho lake (4,920 m) and descend via the challenging, off-the-tourist-trail Mesokanto La (5,200 m) complete with icefall, glaciers, and deserted pastures.
Day 01. You will be picked up by our representative from airport and transfer to the hotel.
Day 02. Free day in Kathmandu, night at hotel.
Day 03 Kathmandu to Pokhara by bus, spend the night by the lake.
Day 04 flight to Jomosom (2,713 m), Kagbeni (2,804 m).
Day 05 Walk past the lovely apricot orchards, ruined fort, and mule stables at Jharkot, up along a stark hillside to reach Muktinath (3,802 m).
Day 06 Accomplish the worst of the hard ascent of Thorong La, and camp at 4,800 m.
Day 07 Slog your way over the pass and then traverse a high scree slope to reach Phedi (4,500 m).
Day 08 Walk to Manang (3,351 m). past yak grazing pastures (kharka) and shepherd's shelters (goth), scrubland, a small hydropower plant, small streams to ford, or cross on bridges, and higher slopes where the blue sheep live.
Day 09 exploration of Braga (3,500 m) village,
Day 10 Chulu Far East Base Camp (4,760 m).
Day 11 March on to the High Camp (5,215 m).
Day 12 Ascend Chulu Far East (6,060 m), and return to Base Camp
Day 13 This is blocked in as a spare day in the event of bad weather.
Day 14 Walk to Manang (3,351 m).
Day 15 Khangsar (3,740 m). Enjoy this large, serene village with its traditional stone architecture.
Day 16 Tilicho Tal (lake, 4,920 m) can be a little rough.
Day 17 Mesokanto La (pass, 5,200 m). You will need to walk around part of the lake along the glaciers and icefall and then traverse a ridge after which a long descent brings you to the pasture and then to Kaisang (3,500 m)
Day 18 Complete the descent down to Jomosom (2,713 m) for some well-deserved rest. Enjoy this interesting, rather 'modern' heart of Thakali country.
Day 19 Fly back to Pokhara for a night by the lake.
Day 20 On the bus back to Kathmandu.
Day 21 Free day in kathmandu for shopping.
Day 22 Transfert to the airport or own destination.
Cost on your request
Cost quoted in itineraries includes:
* Airport-hotel transfer at arrival and departure
* Domestic land and air transport as described in itinerary Jomsom-Pokhara US $ 80 per person
* Four nights 2 stars accommodation in Kathmandu with breakfast Hotel UTSE or similar.
* All trekking and conservation area and national park permit fees,
For Camping or Tented Trek
All meals, camping gear (except sleeping bags) such as tents, kitchen equipment etc, salaries and insurance for guides, sherpas, cooks, porters (who will carry 15 kilos of personal belongings per person) etc during tented treks.
* Re-confirmation of flight
Cost quoted does not include:
* Peak permit fees, for group of one-four pax (US$350), for group of five-eight pax US$350 + $40 per person, for group of nine-12 pax US$470 + $25 per person.
* Climbing Guide for Chulu, Pisang Peaks at US$400 for the group.
* Your international flight into and out of Nepal
* Travel insurance
* Domestic and international airport taxes
* Lunch, dinner, drinks in Kathmandu (US$6-15 per day)
* Tips, souvenirs or other shopping